A new carillon in the Church of the Holy Spirit
The Church of the Holy Spirit in
Each bell has the ornamentation of a dove flying downwards as a symbol for the Holy Spirit and carries the inscription: "Nu bede vi den Helligaand/ at sammenknytte os ved troens baand".(We pray the Holy Spirit to unite us by the ties of the Faith)
The first carillon of the Church of the Holy Spirit (with 19 singing bells) was donated by King Christian IV but it didn’t come in use until 1655. It was destroyed during the fire of
The new carillon is donated by A. P. Møller and his wife Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond for general Purposes. The renovation of the inside of the tower, in order to carry the 14 tons that the bells weigh, was paid for by the head administration of churches in
installation was made by Thubalka in Vejle.
The new carillon was inaugurated by the Bishop of Copenhagen, Erik Normann Svendsen, at a Sunday service
After the service on 26 January the church council held a reception in Helligaandshuset. Everyone was welcome to the service and the reception. It was a musically historic day for this church and for Strøget.
Niels Jørgen Cappelørn,
head of the carillon committee.
Translation by Ulla Laage